The Excitement Ebbs

A frustrating day and entry, apologies and warning in advance!


Oh, you’re still here? Well don’t say I didn’t warn you! 


Today it was raining very hard here, which squelched my plans for a long walk around the presidential palace gardens.  It was all for the best though since Annabelle was in a mood.


Usually, my baby is quite cheerful and as Allison called her, “Miss congeniality”.  But today, she was crying and screaming and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong.  I went through my list:  fed? Check, clean diaper? Check, nap time? Check, pooped recently?  check… What else, what else??? 


Well, after picking her up and carrying her around, which has always calmed her down before (and it didn’t even make a dent this time) I tried a series of things.  Of course, by attacking on all fronts, I still don’t know what the problem was/is but something in my list did help her.


1.   gas drops.  Reaction: still crying

2.   baby ambesol – reaction: crying harder, then stopping for a few minutes, then starting again

3.   homeopathic teething tablets – reaction: none

4.   banana baby food (she LOVES banana to distraction) – reaction: quiet while eating then wailing again

5.   extra, off schedule bottle – reaction: refuses it, still crying

6.   cold teething lobster toy – reaction: hates it

7.   Baby motrin – reaction: still crying, then only a few minutes later, totally happy.


But the baby motrin couldn’t work in just a few minutes could it? So something else on the list must have helped.  Anyway, it was the first time I haven’t been able to soothe her just by picking her up and jiggling her around.   It’s so heartbreaking to see a baby scream with tears welling up and running down her face and she’s wrapping her chubby arms around your neck but still crying.  Oh, it was awful. I can’t imagine how I’ll deal with her first ear infection….


The other bright spot today (can you tell I’m being sarcastic?) was that I looked at my return trip itinerary for the first time today and saw that my incredibly dense travel agent has me sitting in Frankfurt for 8 hours! 8 frickin’ hours?!  I cannot believe there is not a single flight he could have gotten me on that left a little earlier than 8 hours after I arrive at 5:40 am.  Grrr.  8 hours with a possibly getting-sick infant and me tired since the flight leaves Almaty at 3am.  It’s not going to be pretty folks.  And then, just to make it worse, he has me connecting through Dulles (I hate that airport) and gives me less than two hours to clear customs and immigration and navigate the airport-from-hell-with-its-stupid-mobile-lounge-system.  Well, at least I’ll be ending this trip with an experience in tenor with the entire trip! 


Sorry, no pics today, it was too hard of a day.  Have I mentioned how much I can’t wait to be home (even though getting there is apparently going to resemble passing Dante’s rings of hell, levels 1-3)